"For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."
Hosea 6:6 ESV
The nation of Israel was crumbling. After the death of one of the nation’s greatest rulers (Jeroboam II in 753 B.C.), Israel sank into near anarchy, going through six kings in about 30 years. Hosea made clear that this devastation was God’s judgment for Israel’s sins, as well as a means of calling His people back to Himself.
The book of Hosea compares the relationship between God and His people to the real-life marriage of Hosea and his wife, drawing a parallel between spiritual and marital unfaithfulness. Like a marriage partner, God is deeply involved in our lives and is pained when we go our own way. Often God’s people have failed to demonstrate steadfast love and faithfulness to Him, but He stands ready to forgive and restore those who turn to Him in repentance. In buying Gomer’s freedom, Hosea pointed ahead to God’s love perfectly expressed in Christ, who bought the freedom of His bride, the Church, with His own life.
Hosea has four major movements:
1. Hosea's marriage and Israel's unfaithfulness
2. Israel's cycle of sin, judgement, and restoration
3. God's charge against Israel for breaking His covenant
4. God's restorative love for His people
6x8.5, perfect bound, 128 page book. Includes 21 days (3 weeks) of Scripture readings.
This book includes:
• Full Scripture readings for every day—right there in the book
• Space for personal reflection and notes to trigger deeper interaction with Truth
• An explanation of the symbolic names of Hosea's children and their relevance to Israel
• 4 Scripture mini-cards perforated in the back of the book to aid in memorization of the Weekly Truth verses each Sunday
The 21-day Hosea reading plan will be available on HeReadsTruth.com & HRT app for up to six months after your purchase.IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING THE FORMAT OF THIS BOOK:
This book intentionally includes the Hosea reading plan only, with a written introduction and other helpful elements throughout. Because God’s Word is living and active, we believe the Holy Spirit is ultimately all we need to read and respond to Scripture. Written responses to each day’s reading are found exclusively on HeReadsTruth.com and the He Reads Truth app. We invite you to join us there for further commentary and conversation.